Monday 4 July 2016

Awake by Natasha Preston

Image result for awake natasha prestonPublishing date: August 4th 2015
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Rating: 3/5

Book Description:
Scarlett Garner doesn’t remember anything before the age of four—but a car accident changes everything. She starts to remember pieces of a past that frighten her. A past her parents hid from her…and a secret that could get her killed.


My Review: ( LIGHT SPOILERS)
Awake is narrated in two perspectives Scarlett’s and Noah’s, both being in first person. The dual narration was key for slowly uncovering parts of the hidden secret and truth and then seeing the effects that they are having.

This book is like a tie of like a thriller mystery and a romance. To me the romance was very quick, pretty much instant which I personally find so unrealistic and terrible to read. Yet this aspect later makes sense and why it was included in the book like this later.

The character Scarlett was quite under developed and I never created an emotional connection with her, rather, I found her somewhat stupid and silly in particular parts.
Contrastingly, Noah, I thought, was a bit more developed and of whom as a whole character was much more pleasant than Scarlett.

Image result for awake natasha preston
The ending of the book was almost too happy for me as I feel like most books with this sort of eerie tone should have some kind of creepy cliffhanger that will leave you wondering what has happened afterwards. The ending of Awake was almost too resolved for me!

The overall plot line, about a secret cult and their relation to the main characters and just everything around that, I found very interesting. The cult and its principles and the utter devotion of the believers are developed well and are highly believable.

Natasha Preston has always been an author I have loved! Her works The Cellar and You’ll Always Be Mine are such fantastic, creepy reads, of which I adore! I personally prefer Preston’s The Cellar to Awake, yet I still like Awake very much.
Overall I liked the book as a whole, after pushing through the very fake and instant love I was able to appreciate the book for its plot line and other aspects.


Image result for awake natasha preston
If you are after a creepy, more of a different read to your usual love story, I would definitely pick up this book and give it a go. I would definitely recommended this book to others and I will keep reading Preston’s works!



No comments:

Post a Comment